admin
Site Admin

Re: SVdP Homekey Liability

Post by admin »

City Council Meeting Packet for Meeting of: June 6, 2023 Page 17 of 39

CITY COUNCIL MINUTES
MINUTES FOR Regular City Council Meeting of May 16, 2023
As Approved by the City Council at their regular meeting of June 6, 2023

REGULAR CALENDAR AGENDA ITEMS (DISCUSSION AND/OR ACTION)
10. Consideration of Approval of Resolution Authorizing a Joint Application with St Vincent de Paul for a Project Homekey Grant Application for 845 Gravenstein Highway North and Finding the Project Exempt under CEQA Section 15332, Class 32 (Responsible Department: Planning)

Planning Director Svanstrom presented the agenda item recommending the City Council approve a Resolution Authorizing a Joint Application with St Vincent de Paul for a Project Homekey Grant Application for 845 Gravenstein Highway North and Finding the Project Exempt under CEQA Section 15332, Class 32. Discussed changes to Resolution as follows:

New Language:
WHEREAS, St Vincent de Paul will be responsible for the construction and operation of the Project, including all costs associated with City staff assistance, the physical development and on-going operations; and a total amount not to exceed $22 million.

Councilmember Maurer commented am curious about the future tenants of the new units there. And can preference be given to existing Sebastopol residence, is that even possible?
Jack Tibbetts commented as follows:
• That is not possible, unfortunately, fair housing laws prevent any form of housing discrimination.

Vice Mayor Rich commented as follows:
• I am in support of more housing
• I feel your pain and I am experiencing it myself.
• However I agree, we are blessed to be facing this opportunity with St. Vincent de Paul, a reputable, committed and mission driven organization to do what they intended to do when they first came in and purchased the property and demonstrated through statements they shared with us tonight, their commitment to this population.
• It is not going to cost us the city money.
• Plus a case manager on site, that strikes me as a incredible move in the right direction. With a wonderful partner.
I have to thank Kari for negotiating and working through the details to protect the city's interests.
• I am fully in support of this and I think Jack for being here tonight and making this passion a reality to benefit the
community.